Soup is a great way to eat healthy even on the job site. Most soups only require a chopping board to cut up your veggies and one pot to cook the soup. You can make a couple different large batches of soup and freeze some for a different week.
Heat some soup in the morning and put it in a thermos to take for lunch. You can pair your soup with a sandwich made from whole grain bread or salad.
Coconut Curry Split Pea Soup
Author: Nanette Achziger | Prep Time: 20 minutes | Serves: 4
1 cup split peas
5 cups chicken or vegetable broth
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 plantains, chopped
1 can coconut milk – full fat
1 tablespoon curry powder
Sea salt to taste
- Soak split peas in large pot for a few hours or over night.
- Drain peas returning to pot.
- Add broth to split peas and bring to a boil, turn down heat and simmer split peas for 20 minutes.
- While split peas are cooking in a frying pan add extra virgin olive oil and sauté onions for 3 minutes.
- Add plantains and garlic to onions and sauté until onions are soft, about another 5 minutes.
- Once split peas have simmered for about 20 minutes add onion mixture and cook until split peas are soft.
- Add curry powder and sea salt to taste.
- When split peas are cooked through turn off the stove, add coconut milk and blend soup with hand blender until smooth.
Recipe by Nanette Achziger at www.nanetteachziger.com (Coconut Curry Split Pea Soup)